vrijdag 14 oktober 2011

Playing with a full deck

Yesterday I had a long conversation with a friend of mine about love, to be more precize.. being in love. He does some things that make no sense to me at all and when I tell him that, his response is "but you're not in love, so you don't understand". That makes me wonder... does falling or being in love mean you're not playing with a full deck of cards anymore? And more important... should you be happy about that?

I'm a rationalist, I analyse, research, come up with logic. I've learned to be like that coz irrationality just makes no sense to me. Yes I've been in love, but I don't like it when I'm acting stupid. It makes me feel out of control and I don't like it when I'm not in control of a situation. Uhm this would be the right moment to confess that what I feel is irrational most of the times is considered to be still rational by others ;). I don't send E-cards with adorable bears, I don't put hearts in my personal message on MSN, I don't wear "I'm with him" t-shirts. When my heart starts skipping a beat when I see someone, I know it will be a matter of time before it stops doing that, so I just sit and wait for it to be over. I've been burned before, acted stupid, put my trust where it didn't belong and felt overwhelmed with emotions when it ended. I don't handle emotions very well. So I let my mind rule the matters of the heart now.

That doesn't make me feel like I'm missing out on things. It makes me feel nice and safe, hidden behind a big wall. You can't touch me, you can't hurt me, you can't come near to the real me, simply coz I won't let you. Does that mean I don't have the same needs as everyone else? Well I wish it did, but it doesn't. I want to be loved, need attention, want to be valued for who I am. But if I don't let you in.. then how can you really value the real me? How can you give me the attention I need? And by the way I hate being needy lol. The way to my heart is an obstacle course and I'm waiting for you to fall over an obstacle and hit your face in the dirt. That way I'm still safe behind my wall coz you've proven me right in staying behind that wall. So the question is.. am I playing with a full deck of cards to begin with when it comes to matters of the heart? I think everybody misses some of the cards, I just maybe happen to miss the really important ones ;). Well really important to others.. I'm doing fine without them lol.

My friend said I'm a Vulcan when it comes to matters of the heart. My only response to that at this time is "live long and prosper".

========

Spelen met een complete set

Gisteren had ik een lang gesprek met een vriend over liefde, beter gezegd verliefd zijn. Hij doet dingen die ik in de verste verte niet begrijp en wanneer ik hem dat vertel, zegt hij "maar jij bent niet verliefd, dus je snapt het niet". Dus vraag ik me af... als je verliefd bent, speel je dan niet meer met een complete set kaarten? En misschien nog belangrijker.. moet je daar blij mee zijn?

Ik ben een rationalist, ik analyseer, onderzoek, en geef logica terug. Ik heb geleerd zo te zijn omdat ik irrationeel zijn gewoon niet begrijp. Ja ik ben verliefd geweest, maar ik hou er niet van wanneer ik dom doe. Dat zorgt ervoor dat ik niet in controle ben en ik hou er niet van om geen grip te hebben op de situatie. Uhm ik denk dat dit het juiste moment is om toe te geven dat ik al snel vind dat iets irrationeel is, waar anderen nog steeds vinden dat ze heel rationeel bezig zijn ;). Ik verstuur geen E-cards met schattige beertjes, ik zet geen hartjes in mijn persoonlijke bericht op MSN. Ik draag geen "ik hoor bij hem" t-shirts. Wanneer mijn hart overslaat wanneer ik iemand zie, weet ik dat dat vanzelf overgaat, gewoon een kwestie van tijd. Dus ik wacht totdat het voorbij is. Ik heb me gebrand aan liefde, ik heb dom gedaan, vertrouwen gegeven waar achterdocht op zijn plaats was en me overspoeld gevoeld door emoties wanneer het fout ging. Ik ben niet goed met emoties. Dus nu regeert mijn hoofd als het om hartszaken gaat.

Ik heb niet het gevoel dat ik daardoor dingen mis. Ik voel me heerlijk veilig, verstopt achter een grote muur. Je kunt me niet raken, je kunt me niet kwetsen, je kunt niet in de buurt komen van de echte ik, gewoon omdat ik dat niet toe sta. Betekent dat dat ik niet dezelfde verlangens heb als ieder ander? Was dat maar waar! Ik wil dat er van me gehouden wordt, ik heb aandacht nodig, ik wil gewaardeerd worden vanwege wie ik ben. Maar als ik je niet in de buurt laat komen van wie ik echt ben.. hoe kun je dan waarderen wie ik ben? Hoe kun je me de aandacht geven die ik nodig heb? En ik haat het als ik op emotioneel gebied dingen nodig heb lol. De weg naar mijn hart is een hindernisbaan en ik zit erop te wachten dat je over een hindernis valt en je gezicht de modder raakt. Want dat betekent dat ik gelijk heb in het me verschuilen achter een muur. Dus de vraag is... speel ik eigenlijk wel met een complete set kaarten als het om zaken van het hart gaat? Ik denk dat iedereen wel een aantal kaarten mist. Ik mis misschien de echt belangrijke ;).. nou jah, echt belangrijk volgens anderen. Ik doe het prima zonder!

Mijn vriend zei dat ik een Vulcan ben wanneer het om hartszaken gaat. Het enige antwoord dat ik daarop op dit moment kan geven is "Live long and prosper".

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end. - Spock
    Emotions are alien to me. I'm a scientist. - Spock
    Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical humans.
    --Spock in 'I, Mudd'

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. It seems a shame to stay behind a wall,yes you protect yrself against the bad emotions but you also need those to grow and move forward maybe if you keep a few jokers up yr sleeve,like when it goes wrong,lean on your friends,go to your happy place,it will work out,if not its a case of 'beam me up scottie'!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Als je op de juiste moment maar de goede kaart pakt althans die waar jij het beste mee 'kaart'dan hoef je geen joker in te zetten..............

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. But didn’t you learn from your being burnt. That’s life isn’t it, you learn from your mistakes & carry on. In the future you will only open the door to someone special. Even then you won’t know for certain if it’s the right thing to do – life is always a gamble, and emotions are the biggest part of life! Sometimes you’re lucky, sometime you’re not. But I fell that life is too short & precious to hide away behind a wall & hope all the bad stuff will blow over. It’ll blow over anyway, so go out & stand in the sun & enjoy life to the full. Be yourself & enjoy. If people can’t accept this, well (here we go again), stiff. Not your problem. Having said that, I to have built a wall to protect myself (I think most people do to a certain extent), but I don’t hide behind it – not really. Only very dear relatives & friends can pass through the door to me. They have all got a key!! Should anyone betray that trust, which could happen I suppose, well then they have to hand in the key. For them, that’s it, the end, & I’m still safe & secure. Whoops, is that hiding?? I don’t know but that’s the way I handle emotions. If I might someone who appeals to me (mentally) I give them a temporary key to let them into the hall where we can learn to get to know each other. If that goes well & they pass MY obstacle course (yes that I also haave), well then they’re home free. I will never betray them!!! But that’s me, thankfully we all differ. That’s life & that’s what makes it interesting, I reckon.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen